Bijapur, officially known as Vijayapura, is the district headquarters of Bijapur District of Karnataka state. The district is bounded The district is bounded by Solapur district on the North and Sangali on the North-West, Belgaum district on the West, Bagalkot on the South, Gulbarga on the East and by Raichur on the South-East.
The city was established in the 10th-11th centuries by the Kalyani Chalukyas and was known as Vijayapura (City of victory). The city was passed to Yadavas after Chalukya’s demise. Bijapur came under Muslim influence, first under Allaudin Khalji, the Sultan of Delhi, towards the end of the 13th century, and then under the Bahamani kings of Bidar in 1347.
After Independence, the movement for re-organisation of States gained further momentum and on 1 November 1956 a separate
Mysore State was formed. By the wish of the people it was renamed as
Thus, the district Bijapur along with other Kannada speaking areas became a part of
Karnataka State on 1 November 1956. Central government approved the request to rename the city from Bijapur to
Vijayapura on November 1, 2014.